Friday, February 18, 2011

Lunching

I think there will be fewer posts on the days that I actually have something to do. I've been hanging around the apartment most of the day - and I'm really ok with that. We (the apartment and I) became very well acquainted this morning when I cleaned. I have yet to sweep my floor because I don't own a broom and dustpan. But it will happen.

I'm pretty proud of myself. I got hungry around 11:30 am and decided to venture out in search of familiar food. I remembered seeing a Domino's pizza nearby (I know, Domino's, what the heck - but I wanted something that my stomach could agree with!) so I went there and had a fun little bout of made-up sign language with the girl taking my order. At least I could say hello and thank you in Hangul.

I realized what a child might feel like before they learn to read. To look at a sign and not be able to comprehend its meaning, is infuriating! I'm not sure how much of the language I will be able to soak in, or if I need to make a decided, conscious effort to communicate. I was surprised at how little English Koreans speak. But then, why else did I come to this country but to try and help teach?

I'll leave you with a photo of the view from my window. Notice the little mountain in the back. I love mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment