Saturday, February 19, 2011

Early morning again

I managed to stretch my bedtime to a little after midnight last night, but I still woke up at 6:30 am. That's ok - maybe a nap is in store later. The thing about sleeping in my bed is that it's only comfortable when I'm absolutely exhausted...the mattress is firmer than I'm used to.

Last night was a successful trip to E-Mart (Korea's version of Wal Mart.) Three levels of expansive everything-you-could-ever-need shopping. And there are escalators to ride with your shopping cart. I was stared at quite a bit, but the employees were extremely helpful, especially finding specific food items. I spent entirely too much money, but I'm rationalizing it by saying that every move needs one large shopping trip for necessities and then every trip after that will be cheaper. I just hope my money lasts until I get paid.

Danielle, Chana and I took a cheap taxi down a main road with so many shops and a lot of foreign (American) style establishments. We found out where we are in a map of Gwangju and were excited that a nearby hotel serves as a well-known landmark. This will make getting back to my apartment by taxi much easier.

Today, Danielle and I will try a church! I'm excited to go and see God work in a country not my own. It's always exciting to realize that God is bigger than the States. Supposedly, there will be a substantial foreigner community at said church...I'll update later with my thoughts on it.

Tomorrow, Chana and I begin our first day of training! I'm not sure what to expect, besides a long, grueling day, but I think I'm ready to be busy. I'm glad for the weekend, but busyness is my favorite.

I can't wait to begin to feel at home here. I've transitioned many places in my young life, but none as alien as this. If you're a praying friend, please pray that I adjust smoothly and find reasons to be happy that I'm here. One reason I'm sure of: God is always with me. He's not interested in my comfort, but he does care for me - and so I'm praying for comfort :-)

2 comments:

  1. You are awesome. Just remember, you are truly out there living your life to the fullest-- not many people can honestly say that. I'm envious of you and your adventurous ways. I can't wait to hear the crazy stories you will inevitably have to share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Josh!! Your encouraging words mean a lot (one adventurous nomad to another) - be well! I miss being your travel-text buddy. I no longer have a phone :-/

    ReplyDelete