Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Korean Independence Day

After waking up from a knock on my door (my co-workers who were helping my upstairs neighbor move in got the wrong floor) I skyped with Katie and Michael and then my sister Jordyn. I miss them all so much! I want so badly for Katie and Michael to come and teach English in Asia now, but they're waiting on God's timing. They are the reason I came to South Korea - otherwise, I never would have known what TEFL was.

I decided today was the day to explore Gwangju on my own. I walked down the street and hopped on a bus that was passing by. After many bus and subway rides, I landed in Lotte Department Store (think Macy's in New York City), then Lotte Mart (Wal-Mart), a fruit stand, a flower shop and three hours later I headed home. My legs are so tired!

Also, there was snow in the air, earlier in the day. Extremely COLD. The weather lightened up later in the afternoon and the sun came out.


I thought this was a very cool mosaic on the side of a random building I passed.


Didn't mean for this to turn out blurry, but I took it in a hurry. Not sure why I snapped this...




I ducked into Coffee Ti-Amo (or something of that nature) and had a bite of gelato. I've never tried it before today and I never thought I would be trying such a famous Italian dessert in South Korea.


It was very cozy and comforting to sit in, out of the chill. There was a foreigner (American-looking person) in one corner. Whenever I see a foreigner I try to acknowledge, or say hello to them. We've got this connection, being non-Asian and all. It's actually really exciting to see someone not from Korea walking around. Yesterday I spotted three near my neighborhood!


This hotel had a lovely vintage balcony (not shown.) I would have liked to stay here.


Parakeets! These were in Lotte Mart and I did not expect to find them! E-Mart is similar to Lotte, but they only have fish. I used to own several parakeets when I was young. I've had two this green-yellow combination and two blue. This kind of bird will always have a special place in my heart.


This bunny was too adorable not to document. I'm not a fan of bunnies, gerbils, rats, hamsters - or anything else furry that I might accidentally squish underfoot. But there in the store, he was exploding with cuteness(!!) and I couldn't resist.

Now, I'm settled into the apartment again. I'm working on some artwork for my barren walls. Should be hipster-tastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment