Saturday, March 12, 2011

Jinju

I'm in a cozy bed right now - not my own - but by the generosity of my friend, Danielle and her husband Stephen. Ah, such good friends to have me visit for the day and then let me stay overnight. I'll head to church with them tomorrow and meet more foreigners, which is always new and exciting. I woke up today without any intention of doing anything, but decided to venture out and travel to Jinju. I'm so glad I got my lazy rump out of bed.

I started out for the bus stop, but soon turned around and shed a few layers. The weather was so beautiful! I couldn't get over it. I was actually sweating as I was walking. I never realize how much I've missed warm weather until it comes back again. Gorgeous. So, I made my way to the bus stop, hopped on a bus, got off at the wrong stop, walked the rest of the way to the Namgwangju subway station, got off at the Nongdeong (or whatever it's called) stop and walked to the U-Square bus terminal. Quite a trek, but luckily I wasn't pressed for time. I bought a ticket and waited for my bus to leave at 14:40. Military time kills me.

The bus ride was a little over two hours - not quite what I was expecting, but the trip was scenic.The landscape here reminds me of Asheville - and then again, it doesn't - I miss it so badly, the mountains. I was thrilled tonight, walking back with Danielle and Stephen and I could smell real air. Not stale, putrid, city air. Real, breathing, tree-filled, lung-quenching air. It was lovely. I never would have pegged myself as a nature girl, but I think Asheville has the perfect mix of nature vs. city. I will go back there once I'm in the states again.

I've got all these ideas flying around in my head about the future. I want to get back to the states asap (only because I'm homesick and a little culture shocked) but being in the warm weather and around Danielle and Stephen gives me the encouragement I need to explore maybe another six months here...I don't know. I don't feel like divulging all my future plans right here, right now, because I'm trying to think a year ahead (which is always a little silly) and I'd rather not have outside opinions on it at the moment. My future dreams are my own for tonight.

Me, in the subway
Some kind of river I walked over on my way to the subway
Aaaaannnnd....the subway!
Korean countryside
 Sweet friends. So blessed.
Goodnight, Jinju.
 
 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cold does it get over there? Is it like that year round? Have fun with your new friends, and stay open-minded :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm I'm not sure what to compare the weather to...have you ever been to upstate New York? It's like that. Cold in the winter, with snow. However, I'm told that it gets muggy, sticky hot - which is not NY weather at all. Muggy weather is more up my alley! I love it hot.

    ReplyDelete