Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Mudeung Mountain and other adventures

Last weekend, I went with a friend and braved one of Gwangju's mountains. I shouldn't say "brave, " I suppose, because it's not so terrible to climb - it was the chill that got me. The friend that accompanied me works at the other location of LCI. He'll be leaving in a few weeks, so I was glad to get to know him better before he departs. It was a long hike and there were many topics of conversation. One in particular is making me laugh as I type this: he was making fun of people that feel the need to blog about their adventures and are so vain in thinking that other people actually care to know what's going on the blogger's life. Only after that little speech did I inform him that I have a blog. We both laughed and he said he would make it a point to find mine. So, Andres, if you have found my little self-absorbed, online, spill-my-guts blog, I just want to tell you: HA HA HA. That is all.

The structure that housed the bell.


Beautiful, hand-painted wood. Just gorgeous.


To walk on this deck/patio, you must remove your shoes - which is a little awkward in the wintertime. The view was amazing, though.

 Statue in the courtyard

Andres made me drink from this random fountain in the courtyard. He said something about it bringing luck. It kind of grossed me out, because there were plastic measuring cups that are always there for people to use. And people do use them. So, germs + a slimy fountain = one interesting-tasting drink. Surprisingly, it just tasted like an icicle. I really can't complain.


The inside of the temple. We removed our shoes for this as well. There was incense burning and we thought it best to speak in whispers. I'm not sure why. It just felt right.


The doorway leading back out to the courtyard.


The vaulted, hand-painted ceiling. There were paper flower lanterns hanging from the rafters.


The view from that patio place. Much more grand than my camera is relating.


I'm a sucker for tigers, or big cats of any kind ^_^


We reached a 3/4 point in the hike and saw the most amazing overlook. Beyond the hills in the foreground is the city of Gwangju. It kind of put things into perspective for me - this city isn't as vast as I imagined it to be. Here it was, in one place, an easy eye-full.


Andres kept insisting that he take a picture of me, which was awkward. He caught me "in a natural smile," as he was delighted to have done, but I'm not even looking at the camera. Why am I always right about these things? If I don't want a picture, then don't take one of me. Sheesh. 


In other news, the week is almost over. I had the best mid-week boost: a new bike!! Well, new to me. Really, I'm on cloud nine...! Now, I can explore the city in more depth, freedom and less time. Bam.



Annnndddd a GPOY Hangin' at Chez Moi, Rambo-Style Edition. Notice my cranes that dangle above my bed. This place is feeling more lived-in and comfy. I'm glad something is becoming familiar.




Yeah. This is my apartment. What. Don't fool with the cool.



1 comment:

  1. Let Andres know that some of us LOVE to read about what others are doing, and seeing all the really neat pictures! Who knows, he might even find it cathartic to start his own. :)

    Gorgeous pictures Leigh Margaret!!! (It's amazing how much attention to detail is given in their temples. just beautiful)

    Lisa J.

    ReplyDelete