Sunday, March 20, 2011

Which bus...?

I got up to go to church this morning and was a little apprehensive to start my journey. A. The two people I had met before that go to Wolgwang, I knew would not be there. B. I had a vague idea which bus to take (I'm trying not to use taxis as they aren't financially convenient for weekly trips) and C. It was raining. I almost stayed home. But I didn't. I ventured out into the dreariness. After arriving at the bus stop to find that the bus number I needed to take didn't stop at the one closest to me, I did the Leigh Margaret thing and hopped on a random bus. I had quite an eventful trip - taking a bus, getting off at a subway stop that seemed close to my destination, thinking I knew where I was, walking for a half hour, asking a ton of Koreans where the heck I was, having a nice Korean lady try and use her GPS system - but in the end I gave in and hailed a cab. The driver was sweet and tried to speak in his broken English about where I was from, how long I had been here and if I liked Korean food. Unfortunately, I arrived at church 10 minutes before the sermon ended.

I could have gotten angry. I could have been upset and nervy with being "lost." Funny - I'm never really lost. I know where I am, directionally, all the time. I don't know why I have this crazy, inner compass that screams at me, but I sure am thankful for it! Recently, I've been trying to look past the wrenches thrown in my plans and realize that my plans can be changed. If it's the weekend and I'm not tied to school-business, then I need to relax. Life can wait. I don't need to rush everywhere and make myself have a heart attack because I'm not sure how to get to church or if I'll get there on time. I'm trying to enjoy the ride.

I think I can see the reason that God had me go late to church: I was walking into the lobby and over to the elevators; nearby were several rooms with cell groups meeting. There was a muffled roar of peoples' voices, all different, rising and falling in prayer. I was overcome with it. I stood there, with tears in my eyes and had this epiphany. In this country, a place that barely speaks my language, there is the same God that I love. These people are just as crazy about him as I am. They were praying fervently and I could feel the Holy Spirit, thick, in that hallway. Any time I encounter the Holy Spirit, I kind of can't hold it together. I made my way up the elevator sniffing and snorting my tears away.

After church I was again faced with the fact that I didn't know anyone (I'm lying, I did know one person, but had only been introduced once.) So, I turned to a foreigner and introduced myself, then introduced myself to another and another. Meeting people isn't as scary as the world would have you think. Just say your name, and be interested in them. Find some common ground and talk! Sometimes, I get overwhelmed with being someplace where I know no one, but then I realize that it's not that big of a deal. Most people will be nice and accept you; and if they don't then they can go eat mud.

I sat in on a women's cell group meeting and then went to lunch with some new friends :-) I met this especially lovely, South African girl - she's leaving in three months, which is the pits, because she's amazing and I would love to have her around longer - and I felt like we totally hit it off. We had so much in common! Well, really we only talked about God, but he's enough to have in common with anybody, haha. I've already made plans to go meet these new friends on Wednesday and Thursday night...!

I've been putting God in a box. I keep thinking that I've got to do something miraculous to make my life worth living, to meet people and make new friends, to get involved in this city. But I've had it all wrong: God brings people into my life - just the people I need to encourage me, or me, to help them. God will lead me in the way that I'm supposed to go. I'm so crazy about him.

Sunday: a little wobbly in the directions area, but overall, a success.

1 comment:

  1. words cannot describe how much I loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove this post (:

    ReplyDelete