Monday, December 27, 2010

Documenting Mood Swings


Today, I feel very optimistic about living in South Korea. I just graduated from college and am making the transition from student to adult. In this period, I find myself racked with extreme anxiety and elation. I don't believe that I am bipolar, but I firmly believe in the power of hormones over my body, and also that I am acutely attune to my emotional feelings concerning change.

I was discussing this with a close friend yesterday. I asked if it was normal for me to freak out about living abroad one day and then feel totally ok with it the next. She told me, "Pooky-" she calls me that, "-it would be abnormal for you to feel no emotion about it. You just graduated. You need to allow yourself time to adjust to  this new way of life."

That's a relief. At least I'm semi-normal. Except, I doubt "normal" people pick up and move to the other side of the world just because they want to. Well, I have better reasons than that. Including sating my desire to travel, meeting new people and paying off student loans. 

Which I found out are not that outrageous (my loans, that is.) I did some random math on my loans and came up with a little over $23,000. That's not wholly bad for a state education, right?

I was pondering the matter a while ago - - about having received an education from a state school. Something most people would turn up their noses about. But I realized that I chose just the right school. After visiting several schools around North Carolina (private universities included), the school I decided on had the best program for what I wanted to do (costume design.) So really, I got the best of both worlds - great training in my area of expertise and less debt. I think.

After South Korea, I will have (hopefully) taken a chunk out of my debt. Because salary over there is roughly $24,000 a year. This is all very rough math.




No comments:

Post a Comment