Monday, December 27, 2010

Crafting

This is such a random blog - it does well to reflect my personality. I doubt I can be labeled ;-)

To keep myself busy during holiday break, I've been crafting up a storm. My roommate and I enjoy knitting, painting, collaging - if it's to be made, you can be sure we've had a try at it.

Here are some of the things that have occupied my time:

 I wanted to learn to bind a book. This is done with a scraggly Coptic Stitch. Now I know. I think it was a valiant first try. Perhaps I'll do another one while I'm home. I did decorate the front and back with random scraps of Dupioni silk.


A Christmas present to my 15-year-old baby sister. I have made quilts for my other two sisters in Christmas' past and the baby mentioned wanting to receive one herself. I had all these scraps of Dupioni left over from my work in the costume shop. It's kind of a modern log cabin design: diagonally sewn strips, then pieced together in squares to give a diamond effect. I think it's lovely. She adored the colors and I was happy to labor over it. Perhaps I shouldn't say 'labor.' It took me two days to put together :-P


I have no clue what I want this to be. Maybe a bag? There were scraps of vintage fabrics in short strips in my mom's closet and nothing was being done with them. I don't know why I've been quilting so much lately. I abhor attending to detail and a lot of my recent work has been tedious (and wrought with detail.) I probably chose things like this because it takes up more time. While I'm at home, all I have IS time.

No comments:

Post a Comment