Monday, February 6, 2012

a post which will continue for too long

I have been inspired recently, about going computer-free (or spending less time on the computer.) What did I do with my time before I had the internet at my fingertips? Sure, the last time I remember it clearly was when I was 8 years old, running around outdoors, building forts, and playing with the neighbors, because I barely knew what "the internet" was.

No, I take that back. The most recent internet-free time in my life was two summers ago when I working at Southern Appalachian Repertory Theatre in the mountains. I adore the mountains, so who would want to waste their time on a machine when you have a breath-taking view and beautiful weather to enjoy?

This time found me without internet because there simply wasn't wireless in my apartment, or I couldn't access it, or I wasn't keen on hunting down an ethernet cord. Whatever the dilemma, I was lacking, and yet, perfectly content. I had a cell phone and made calls/sent texts to friends and family. I had my guitar and a notebook, and played for hours. I hung out with friends in their apartments. I went for long walks in the warm evenings. I played volleyball with the kids from Barnardsville. I remember my time so vividly because I was really connected to it. I was enjoying every single breath because I was living my life. I wasn't watching other people's lives play out on a newsfeed; every minute detail that nobody really cares to hear about, ticking past. When a life is spattered all over a screen, it loses flavor and tangibility.

I've been at fault for this. My life looks just the way I want it to on facebook. On my blog. Everything is selected or deselected to my liking. I can untag myself from unflattering photos. I can be whoever I want to be on the internet.

Not so in real life. There are words we can't take back. Bad hair days we can't untag. Conversations we can't suddenly go offline for.

I'm realizing more how valuable time is. This year has been frightfully fleeting. These last three weeks I want to experience fully.

I have no regrets, for keeping this blog or staying in touch with my family and friends. You are all so important to me. I want to still be in your lives so that I can come back to the States and be there for you - so we can pick up where we left off. I want to let you know that I am available and my time is yours so that you can be blessed. I will, however, move forward with a larger understanding of how life should be lived. It's bigger than a profile picture, wider than a newsfeed, and deeper than a computer screen.

Go live life.

Go read.
Draw.
Sing.
Dance.
Talk to someone you care about.
Talk to someone you've never met.
Listen to music.
Create music.
Run.
Walk.
Swim.
Learn a new craft or skill.
Read, read, read.
Did I mention, read?

I've been able to sink my teeth into some great stories since I've been here. I'm finally becoming the person I've always wanted to be. I can take the time to get lost in a book and then emerge with new ideas to share with others. To be a reader - - it's just...satisfying. And then again, not, because when you're done with a book, you're hungry for another. Also, you can find people who have read the same book and share your thoughts (and this is exciting to discover, especially if you don't read what's popular - you can find a kindred-reader!)

There's that saying,

"Great people talk about ideas.
Average people talk about things.
Small people talk about other people."

Now, we can't always just talk about ideas. It is necessary to talk about things. If you have an errand to run, or a question for someone - it might involve discussing inanimate objects, like cars, food, or clothes. Sometimes, friends need to vent about feelings and this involves talking about other people. True, it's difficult to avoid this. But do you really want to be someone that always talks about other people? This loops back around to the facebook thing. It's a "social network," right? It's people wanting to see others and be seen. People needing information on other people, needing to let others know about them, as well. It's small.

Talk about ideas. Think about something bigger than yourself and your computer screen.

1 comment:

  1. I've been considering a digital sabbatical upon my arrival to Korea. Right now, in the in-between, I spent too much time on the computer. I know I do. But there is nothing else to do! I know in Korea there will be new things to explore, and eat, and experience so I intend to cut my internet time to 30mins or 1hr a day in order to communicate with my family and that's all. No facebook or pinterest or tumblr.

    ReplyDelete