Saturday, February 18, 2012

Derriere

I'm not sure if everyone who reads this blog knows what goes on in my classroom every. Single. Day.

My 6-year-old students thought it was the best joke ever to tell me what a big bum I have. Seriously - EVERY DAY. We'll be in circle time and they will make up songs about my rear. When we go into the hallway for a bathroom break, they'll run over and give it a hug. Everything is about the bum.

True, it's larger than the average Korean woman's - but I'm no Nicki Minaj. Funny thing is, I don't mind the joke. I've always wanted to be curvier, to look like a woman.

My mom had a close friend when I was young, and she was quite curvaceous. At five years old, I announced to my mother, "Mrs. Brown is a good momma."

"Why, Leigh Margaret?"

"Because she has curves."

A good momma, a good woman, a good wife. I don't know why my young mind knew how a woman is supposed to look - but I'm grateful that this has always been my goal. Not to be thin. I feel that being thin is almost a curse (and something I've struggled to overcome most of my life.) Please don't be angry if you can't relate. Maybe you've always wanted to be smaller or skinnier than you are. My point is: Ladies - put some meat on! That's what makes the world go 'round!

Whenever the kids make a big bum joke at me, I laugh and ask them, "but is it good?" They tell me enthusiastically, "YES!" If I have taught my young, girl students anything, I hope that when they are aware of their bodies and how to care for them, they will choose to be healthy, rather than anorexic, simply because it's a worldly trend.


No comments:

Post a Comment