Tuesday, January 10, 2012

of children and their humor

I've started counting down the weeks. It's something like 7 now, until my last day of work. SEVEN. WHAT. I can remember not being able to fathom living for a year, a whole year in Korea. And now it's almost at an end. It hasn't quite hit me, the sadness I might feel upon leaving. I keep trying to enjoy each day with all of my students. I know that people would say, "It's just a job," or "I have over 100 students and I know maybe 10 or their names!" But the cool thing about working for my hagwon, is that I can get to know all of my students on a very personal level. I know all their names, most of their Korean names, and each of their personalities. We have such an excellent time, laughing, learning, and laughing some more.

I wish I had a camera-man to follow me around and make this into a reality TV show. I get such a kick out of my 6-year-old students. Their senses of humor is a little predictable, but priceless. They enjoy puns and inside jokes. Their biggest obsession (and has been for quite a while now,) is telling me how big my bum is. I know. Totally inappropriate, right? But what can you do, with a bunch of little kiddos, who are right at bum-level, and my rear is larger than most Korean women's...? I let them have their fun, teasing me and making jokes about how "Margy Teacher has a big bum;" they  laugh and laugh, thinking they're so clever. I keep telling them, "You can tell me that, because I think it's funny, but don't ever say that to anyone else. EVER." I don't know if they've grasped the concept that not everyone wants a large derriere.

1 comment:

  1. Margy, this is hilarious! Those sweet kiddos are going to miss you! I know you will have left your mark over there by the time you leave and your spunk, creativity, and godly example cannot be replaced. I know those children will always remember you and their year with you as their teacher!

    ReplyDelete