Thursday, January 5, 2012

a little face lift

Did you know that although many people in Korea shun tattoos (on the flip side, they are becoming more accepted - - slowly) the women here get them on their FACES. As in, they tattoo their hairline, to make it appear fuller, their eyebrows for the same reason, and eyeliner along the edge of their eyelids. I mean, WHAT. Why did I not know this?! Korea never ceases to surprise, and sometimes shock me.

I decided to revamp my blog a little. I was getting tired of the clutter on the page, the background of some random, generic pottery, that everyone uses on blogspot, in order to look somewhat ethnic/cultured/like a world traveler. I was motivated by some blogs hipster blogs I happened upon. I was stumbling across several delightful blogs and here's a group of sisters:

http://mycakies.blogspot.com/
http://reinnasaurus.blogspot.com/
http://richellephant.blogspot.com/

The first is a strikingly beautiful lady with four children. Four little babies that look so sweet! I don't know why I'm gushing about some blog that I found - perhaps I was enamored with how her lifestyle is portrayed through the beautiful photographs adorning her site. She mentioned a sister, whose link I followed, and that sister mentioned another sister...All of their blogs are adorable, and they all have pretty sweet taste. The coolest thing about them, is they love Jesus! That's encouraging...to run across people that love the Lord so much that they don't mind writing all about him on a blog. Maybe some people think this is ridiculous - that's ok. I think it's refreshing; it's inspiring to read through other people's experiences with God, and their journeys in serving him.

Speaking of being inspired, I reconnected with an old friend recently, and it was amazing to hear how God has been drawing him closer, and instilling a crazy, insatiable hunger. I get so excited when I hear others' stories. It doesn't always have to be a "lightning-strike" situation - but I like knowing  how God leads them and the visions he puts on their hearts. I'm reminded of a few things that God has been showing me recently. I'll bullet them for the little OCD girl in me:

+ Eat the scroll - this was mainly from Ezekiel (and a little from Revelation) about being called to speak God's word. There is such a thing as prophets, this day in age. However, I feel that God hasn't called me to necessarily speak of the future (you know Isaiah and Jeremiah, those guys that foretold things about Jesus) but more just speaking God's word, speaking his truth, and being bold. Not being afraid to let my tongue be occupied with the Lord's words. Before I can know what to say, or be equipped in doing God's work, I need to eat, sleep, breathe, read, ingest the Word. This was a strange concept to me: eat the scroll. But the more time passes, the more it seems normal. Want to know all about the loving savior of the world? Well, duh. Read about him and know him more. Let his words go to your innermost parts, let them sink in and nourish your starved soul.
+ Don't be afraid - this phrase kept popping up when I was reading through Isaiah recently. For a few days, everything I was reading was "Don't worry," "Don't be afraid," "Take heart," "Take Courage," or "Be Courageous." This is difficult for me to grasp. Why, suddenly, is God telling me not to fear? Should I be wary of being afraid when I have to change cultures again in a couple of months? Will I be afraid of doing what God would have me do? Am I going to cower in fear and self-doubt at the tasks set before me? I'm not even sure of everything that I'm supposed to do in the near future, but I have a feeling that it's going to require more of me than what I possess. That's fine. As long as I know that's it's not in my strength, and that God is the reason anything I do works out at all.
+ Get your eyes off yourself. This whole time (or most of the time) that I've been in Korea, it's been a giant wrestling match with God. "God, what can I do to make my time here worthwhile? How can I better myself? How can I improve my health, my body, my mind, my social skills, the types of relationships I have, the company I keep? Me, me, me, me, me." It's kind of disgusting, when I think about it. It wasn't until my hip totally gave out and I had to stop devoting 10+ hours a week to running a half-marathon, did I realize that it's not about me. It never was. My life that I'm building now...now that university is finished and I have a degree in my back pocket, I'm not tied to anything. I did my four-years time. I now have a piece of paper that qualifies me for most jobs. But most importantly, I don't have to feel held back - I may not be a qualified business woman, but if God wants to use me in an administrative position, he'll give me the tools and wise counselors to help me. Sometimes I doubt myself and feel insecure, that somehow I won't live up to everything I can be - - except, I'm not able to fathom everything God can have me be. He wants to use me, but there's a catch: it's not using me to further myself. I'm being used to further his kingdom. And that's the kind of using I don't mind at all.

3 comments:

  1. I love simple layouts. Also, I know about the tattoo thing, but I am pretty heavily tattooed -- my thigh is basically sleeved and I have an arm, shoulder, rib and ankle tat. I am a little worried about the reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got my first tattoo here in Korea! I say first, because I hope to get more :-) I'm sure you won't be shunned - most of the time, Koreans understand that foreigners have different styles and standards of beauty, and they don't question that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Face lift specially for getting better and attractive look. It look like as facial surgery which create well shine of face. Sound increase its better and effective look.

    ReplyDelete