Thursday, December 1, 2011

keeping

I've been frustrated with God's silence. I'm still learning how to listen and open my ears. This is difficult, when I'm prone to think I'm the only one with things to say.

Since I left my Bible at church last week, I've been using my computer more for looking up verses. This is good and bad: good because I can read more scripture, faster, and it's easier to find cross-references for verses. Bad, because I'm distracted by the little white "f" in a blue box beckoning from my taskbar. Ohhhhhhh facebook, how you entice. I was sitting in front of my computer this morning, fuming at God, because of his tight lip, when this verse came to mind: Deuteronomy 7:9. It wasn't just the words that struck me - this verse came with its own tune! It was one that I had heard as a kid, listening to G.T. and the Halo Express. Who here remembers hearing these stories on cassette tape...? :-)

"Remember that the Lord your God is God. He is a faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commands."

As a child, I would sing along, usually at the top of my little vocal chords, and not think twice about the words. Thanks, Mom, for ingraining so many verses into my head. Now, as an adult, I am able to pull from my store and meditate on these things.

When I look deeper at the verse, I'm struck by two things:

1. Faithful.
2. He keeps.

These are both actions. They may be thought of as stagnant words, but when I ponder them more, they're powerful.

1. God is to be trusted. We can put our faith in him. Whatever plans we concoct will fall terribly short in comparison. He is faithful in everything - how he provides is breathtaking. Anything good in my past did not come from my doing. Conversely, every heartache was usually brought on by myself.

2. God doesn't let me walk out alone. Whenever I take a step of faith, he's right there with me. He keeps me accountable, he keeps me fed, he keeps me joyful, he keeps me blessed. I never thought I would like "being kept." Sounds medieval, yes? I'm thinking, "a kept woman." No, I'm all about independence. But, in this case, it's perfectly ok to be kept by God. After all, he keeps me from harm and he keeps me for better things.

I've got to start trusting more.


1 comment:

  1. I'm having the same hard time. I pray and pray and wait and wait and I told Sebron the other night that I wish God would just take may hand like you would a little kid and just lead me there and say "this is it." I am finding that in the waiting, that is when we learn more about God and His love for us. If we had all the answers, we probably would keep going to Him, so He has us seek His face and we keep returning to Him. Praying for you Margy.

    ReplyDelete