Saturday, December 24, 2011

The Christmas Eve Post

Yesterday morning, I woke up with a terrible fever, a nasty, deep cough, dizziness, and a runny nose. I had had a headache the night before, but this sickness came as a surprise. I suppose when I make my body do so much, it eventually quits, especially if a break is drawing near. This was the day before Christmas break was to begin. I called my boss in tears, partly because I was feeling like poop, and partly because I hate disappointing someone. She suggested I go to the doctor and then come into work at 1:30 for the Christmas pictures that were to be taken with the students and "Santa." I was sleeping most of the morning and so didn't make it to the hospital (by the way, when a person is sick, the only option for healthcare is a hospital, rather than a doctor's office. This doesn't always mean the person is so sick that they need an emergency room. This is just how it is in Korea.)

I went into work at 1:30 like I promised, feeling a little better after taking some tylenol, to bring down my fever. My boss had offered for me to go home again after 2:30 if I was still feeling low. I did the dumb thing and stuck it out. We were giving the Big Test for the month and I figured I could just sit down and wait it out. I left at 6:00 to catch my 7:10 bus to Jinju. This whole time I had a fever that was in and out. Walking down the street in the cold, with three heavy bags, feeling dizzy - man, it was rough.

I arrived at KatieMichael's and they were so sweet to immediately offer me tea and my bed. I mean, wow, so hospitable. They scoured their apartment for some nyquil, which I took and then drifted off to sleep. I woke up at 5:00, 6:30, and 7:00 and watched Tangled as I was dozing. Side note, I love that movie. I was feeling nauseous, still hacking, and feverish. I decided to give in and go to the hospital. I was hesitant to go because I didn't want it to cost as much as the time I went upon arriving in Korea. I told KatieMichael when they woke up that I would be going to the hospital. They insisted on going with me - which, of course, I wouldn't say no to. I hate hospitals. I hate that they prick me with needles and bruise my tender inner arm. Yuck. So much discomfort.

We took a taxi to a hospital Michael knew. After wandering around for a while, we were directed towards the information desk. The doctor came out and assessed my situation. He then informed us that this was a "3rd Degree" hospital and would be doing lab work, meaning they would charge a lot of money. I had been praying that I wouldn't have to spend so much money, so this was a blessing that he mentioned this. We got in another taxi and went to a different hospital, that supposedly was much cheaper.

Unfortunately, not much English was spoken by the receptionist. A doctor who could speak and understand me, translated a little but he left as promptly as he had come. Then, out of nowhere, was this wonderful girl, speaking English fluently. She looked over my shoulder and was making suggestions as I was filling out my paperwork. She then took it upon herself to guide me through the rest of my visit, dragging me around the hospital, to the different stations, to speak to the doctor, get an x-ray done, and do some blood work. She was there with her American friend who had some kidney stone trouble. She was such a God-send! I found out her name later - Suji (pronounced Suzy.) She was being my mom when I needed one! She kept feeling my head for a fever, rubbing my back, talking to me. Oh my goodness. I know the visit would have been hellish had she not been there. Thank you, Suji!

We went back to KatieMichael's and I skyped my family. They were all together, and I wanted to cry. I love my family too much for words. They were all sitting there, watching me, (I was pretty drowsy,) but they were having a good time, making jokes and holding the cats up to the screen to say Hello. Oh, family. I'm so sorry that I can't be there for Christmas. You are all loved so much. I'll be home soon.

P.S. Ashley, I listened to the song "Santa Will Find You" again and cried T_T I don't know why I do that to myself.

Here are a few pics from the day. I've decided to play around with my camera and settings since I'm confided to be indoors, and this room. I don't want to infect KatieMichael.

 Post-hospital visit. This was after a few hours of sleeping this afternoon. Strugggllle.

 The wonderful guest room that KatieMichael allow me to take over whenever I come visit. This room and I will become very well acquainted during my stay here.

 The stash ^_^ There's a bag for each of us.



 Their tree.

 The meds, to be taken three times a day for about a week. Yay, medicine. (In case you can't detect the sarcasm, I actually hate it.)

 A. I'm crazy and keep a million tabs up all at once. Don't judge. B. What's Christmas without a little Charlie Brown? Only the best.





No comments:

Post a Comment