Saturday, June 25, 2011

or are we dancers

Last night was the first night I had every been "out" in Korea. I'm not a big club person - I prefer to chill with friends, play games and music...kind of an old person if you want to be honest. However, I do enjoy going out now and then, and dancing with friends. It was the first time that I had been out without any alcohol in my body. It felt great!

I feel that I should insert a little explanation - - I have an alcohol intolerance. It's not that I think alcohol is evil, no. I like the taste! I think it's fun to have a drink with friends one in a while. And yes, I've experimented and happened to have too much on certain occasions. Nothing I'm proud of. But I found that even with the smallest amount of alcohol, I would be home vomiting at 3am. This happened often in school. I would have a drink and go out with friends, then be home in the fetal position and puking.

I could be upset that I'm "missing out," but I find it a blessing, actually. Alcoholism runs in my family and I know that I have that tendency. It's just safer for me to stay away rather than constantly fighting the temptation - "How much should I have?" "I can handle one more drink!" - no. It's better that I'm sober. I stopped drinking all alcohol around Christmas and since then, I've not thrown up once! Bear in mind, I was vomiting every month for a year in 2010. Yikes.

Perhaps this is too much information for some people that don't know me very well. I could be afraid of what you will think of me - - but strangely enough, I'm not. I think that God would have me be honest about my life, my struggles and shortcomings. As much as I would like to pretend that I'm perfect, I'm not. God can't use perfection. There's no room for improvement. Therefore, I feel that my life is to be an example to others, to encourage, to lift up, to comfort with the comfort I've been given. It's ok to acknowledge where you're weak. It gives other people hope. That's not to say that you should embrace you're sin. But God likes broken people. That way, he can shine through the cracks.

Back to my club story - it's so different here! And rightly so, since I am in Korea. The dancing was not the bumping and grinding that you find in the States. It was "innocent" dancing, in a way. Silly dancing is very acceptable. I went with two coworkers/friends and we danced together and a lot of young, adorable Korean boys. A fun mix of Lady Gaga, Taio Cruz, Justin Bieber, and K-pop helped us get our groove on.

There was a point in the evening when a guy (I'm not sure what kind of foreigner he was, because he wasn't Korean but also didn't have an American accent,) would not leave me alone. He kept slapping my rear and even kissed me on the cheek. This, I would not stand for. So there was much shoving and slapping hands away, and running away, and "No!" I'm sure to some people this would have been a compliment - but I can't accept that. When he was bored of me retaliating and cutting off his attempts, he found another girl. These guys act like you're the only one they want to be with that evening. Girls fall for this and it's heartbreaking. They have no self-esteem and look for value in the guy that makes them feel good right that moment But the guy doesn't really care about them. He cares about how their bodies look and how their bodies feel on their own. It's empty. I felt like I could see that very clearly last night.

But enough of the heavy - it was, on the whole, great fun! I don't know if it will happen again for me, being an old person and all...:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment