Wednesday, June 29, 2011

God Plants

Jezreel. I'm so excited that I've been learning how to converse with God(!) For sure, I don't have it figured out. Sometimes I feel like I'm talking at the ceiling. However, recently, (or at least since I've been in South Korea,) I've seen God working through our relationship. When I pray, I see him move in really cool ways. The common thread throughout the past few months has to do with being watered in a drought.

The story of Elijah popped up pretty soon after I arrived. (Perhaps I already posted about this. Forgive me if I'm repeating myself. This is what comes of a bad memory.) I was never a huge fan of the Old Testament. A bunch of random, dead people that did something or other for a God that was angry and frightening. Animals were sacrificed, some kings did the wrongs things, etc. Boring, yeah? NADA. It's actually kind of cool to dig deeper and study the lives of these crazy nomads. Elijah was sent away to the East to be with God in the desert - - - but if Elijah was a prophet, why was God getting him to leave civilization?? Aren't prophets supposed to always be leading people, and talking at them? Yeah, but this was a time for Elijah to rest and be refreshed. Water from a pitcher goes dry unless you fill it again from the faucet.

Which brings me to my next point (and one that I can specifically connect with) - the word, "refreshed." It means to restore, strengthen or run water over. Make new. Both Jeremiah and Psalms have these correlating verses that talk about a tree being watered in a drought/desert. Even though it (the tree) is alone, it's still being tended, being strengthened, and is growing. Its leaves are still green and although it is resting, the tree continues to bear fruit; just not as much as it will in the future.

There are seasons for everything. I had a season in University. I struggled, was weary, and ended up coming out a little bruised but I knew who my friends were, and that I needed God desperately. I find myself in a totally photo negative season than before: rest. Yes, I'm working my rear off for this school, and fighting to adjust to another culture - but it is restful. God wants me to soak in him for a year - like Esther, to have a year of "beauty" treatments for my heart and mind.

This is my drought. I'm drinking from this tiny trickle of a stream, but I'm finding nourishment. And I have so much more than I need. I have this feeling that I'm only pausing before I take the plunge. Of what, I have no idea...

If you're interested in looking up verses pertaining to these stories:
Elijah - 1 Kings 17 and 19
Esther - Esther 2
Jeremiah 17:8
Psalm 1:3
Hosea - 2:14-23

Ok, ok, so maybe those of you that are reading are thinking, "Gee, Leigh Margaret, that's great that you feel like God's speaking to you. That's great that you believe in a God...! But he's not real for me." May I humbly reply that he is real? He loves you, he created you and so desperately wants you to talk to him. But he's a gentleman. He's not going to push you. You  have to push. You have to take the first step. Just talk to him. He doesn't want babble, or pretentiousness. He wants the real, raw you. He wants your heart. Maybe you don't relate to my walk right now, but I want to encourage you to step onto the path and start your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment