Sunday, June 5, 2011

3-Day Weekend

Thank you, Korean Memorial Day for giving me an extra day of rest! Today was nice. I woke up lazy, chatted with my dear sister, Jordyn, cleaned the apartment, did laundry, watched a Bollywood movie. Peaceful. I was inspired earlier to start this new challenge: 101 Things in 1001 Days. Here's the site:

http://dayzeroproject.com/

It's pretty sweet - it helps you choose 101 activities or goals that you can accomplish in three years. My list includes learn to cook a recipe from 30 different countries, take a belly-dancing class, take up cello again, get an asymmetrical haircut, learn French - just to name a few. You should try it! You have three years to be inspired and try new things that you've always wanted to do! This is great for me since I often have trouble motivating myself when I have time off. I work so hard at work, I don't want my play time to feel like work. So I usually just veg. But I want to be more than just a passive floor potato (I have no couch.) I want to be proactive with my free time.

Tonight I tried my first recipe! It was San Choy Bau, a recipe from China. It's chicken, garlic, ginger and random vegetables tossed with soy sauce and eaten wrapped in large lettuce leaves. I substituted some things here and there because Korea can be limiting with grocery items - but I was so pleased that it turned out well! I actually can cook. Ha - all these years I've pretended like I'm a bad cook. I'm really not. This is going to be amazing trying all these new dishes. My problem with cooking is I become complacent and make the same meals over and over again. I have the ability, just little creativity. Goodbye boring pasta and rice dishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment