Friday, July 8, 2011

Requested

I was speaking with my older sister about a time that God allowed me to get by on $25 for the whole week. She told me to write it down - it went a little like this:

I had been in Korea only about a month or so when I found my finances dried up. Arriving with about $600, I knew that I would be stretching it. It turns out that I would have to live off of $25 for a week before I received my first paycheck. Maybe that's enough for groceries for the rest of the world, but I have to make it work for transportation and whatnot. This was where things got heavy.

I needed a couple of necessary groceries. I purchased a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter. Friends, if you're ever in a tight spot, these two food items can last you a while. After that, I just prayed and decided to watch God work out my meals for lunch and dinner.

Before this, I had not been eating the lunch that my children were served everyday. I thought it looked kind of gross, smelled funny, and I just didn't trust it. However, this is where I was humbled and could no longer turn up my nose at the free food. Lunch was covered. To my surprise, every day that week, I found that I either had a birthday party one day (which meant that the parents of that child bought large amounts of pizza, ice cream cake, and chicken,) or the Korean teachers were sharing their mid-afternoon snack spoils. One afternoon, one of the teachers shared a ton of fruit! Yes, God even cares about what kind of food you survive on.

And there you have it. Simple. Astounding. I mean, I got through the week and realized that I probably gained a few pounds from all the excess food. God is real. He provides. Just ask and trust. It's kind of awesome.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing about this. Never, ever forget it. You are a shining witness, Margy, and you minister to me nearly every day without knowing it.

    ReplyDelete