Friday, October 14, 2011

Eat, Pray, and Pretend That Somebody Gives a Rat's A** About Your Pitiful Manic Ramblings in a Book the Thickness of a Cereal Box

I mean, really- why am I reading this? Why do I continue to pick up this self-indulgent, self-help-book-in-disguise-as-a-novel? I've already seen the movie and therefore know how the story ends. What is it about this journey in my hands has me interested?

She's not even sane, I think. I mean, she's a writer, and what writer is...? They're either tragic introverts that cannot hold a decent conversation unless it's through some technology device; OR they're outgoing and frighteningly egotistical, but put on a show like they have low self-esteem so as to be accepted by the majority of the world. She's totally a fence-sitter. Can't make up her mind. Prays to God, but doesn't want to be firm in acknowledging that she can hear his voice. Instead, it's "that calm, compassionate, affectionate, and infinitely wise voice (who is maybe me, or maybe not exactly me.)" CHOOSE SOMETHING FOR ONCE. Ok, so you took a step to "find yourself" in three different countries (p.s. anyone can do that), but good grief, have a backbone. And then she drops all of these Italian words, like she's fluent or something.

Why am I so annoyed with this book?

Do you ever really dislike something in yourself? Of course, yeah, most of us have something that we would like to change. For me, it's pride. I have a natural confidence that can sometimes translate into pride, and I realize I have it, only when I see it in someone else. I am so peeved by this other person's lack of humility that I almost lose sight of the fact that it's me exactly, and like looking in a mirror. A mirror never tells us anything we want to see.

I wonder if my journey to South Korea is too similar to her story. I escaped my life in the States, just like she did. I ran away from a lot of financial worries, I left a broken "non"-relationship, I immersed myself in a new culture in an effort to cleanse my mind and heart. But I can see a stark difference. Yes, I keep a blog that is similar to this novel I'm reading. We are both searching for affirmation, pleasure, our life's purpose. Except - - I think I already know mine. She's planned her trip, but her heart-map is blind. She feeds her body, her "soul" and her libido but totally misses the mark. My heart is laid before my God, ready and anxious to begin its work, but I don't own a map for my body to follow....not yet, at least.

1 comment:

  1. Aw thats so sad! I read that book during a transitional time in my life (right after I had moved to NYC) and besides her leaving her husband, I COMPLETELY related to everything she said. It was like her book was mirroring my own life!

    Aw well, guess it's not for everyone :)

    Glad to see you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete