Thursday, November 17, 2011

Project NaNo: Aborted

I was participating in the National Novel Writing challenge for this month and was well on my way with 20,000. Was. Oops - I guess I've said 'yes' to too many things and found that what little free time I had was being spent on that, and it wasn't even that much fun for me. Shouldn't free time be fun, and not a chore? So I quit. In that respect, I feel like a schmuck. Normally, I finish whatever I've started (save for that one time I was an RA and I had a coordinator from the underworld. I really couldn't stick that out for mental health reasons.) Moving along, I was undertaking this writing challenge with a couple of friends - we were holding each other accountable, motivating each other. But I quit. Phooey. Sorry, Michael, Mark Twain, and even Mike Combs. I had every intention of completing 50,000 words, but life got in the way, and I chose to play guitar instead. My advice to anyone doing the challenge: don't slack off, even for a day. It comes back to bite you - especially if you're not a seasoned, dedicated writer in the first place.

I am quite blue this week. It's difficult to put my finger on a specific thing. I guess because I have many things that are weighing heavy on my heart, things that I'm not at liberty to discuss online. Anyways, this week feels unusual. I've not been in 'the dumps' in a while and it feels so strange. I know that God is in control of everything and he cares for me, cares about every aspect of my life. Matthew 6:30-34 was a good reminder. But it's one thing to read it, and another to really believe it and take it to heart. I'm already checking out, having to leave in a little over three months and I feel detached from everything.

BLEAAHHhhhhhhhhhh.......

3 comments:

  1. Hi.
    I am interviewing with a school in Gwangju for a job in February this weekend and your blog came up during my internet combing. I felt compelled to comment here since I am also doing NaNoWriMo and hated Eat Pray Love with a fiery passion. :) Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Don't know if you'll check back on here, but thank you for finding my blog - I checked out yours as well. You seem very adventurous and so to hear that you didn't care for Eat Pray Love confirms that not everyone has to "find themselves" in another country, in such a self-centered way. I find it difficult to put my finger on what I didn't like in the story...it's not a bad idea, just an incredibly selfish one. Good luck with your NaNoWriMo! I'm leaving in March to go back home, but I might be back in Gwangju after the summer. Maybe I'll see you around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did check back!
    Also, we got the jobs in Gwangju and signed contracts last week. :) I'd love to get the lowdown on my new city if you have time:

    checkmatetravel (at) gmail.com

    ReplyDelete