Tuesday, August 23, 2011

a little motivation for your daily grind

I went for a run tonight and was surprised that I was able to go for an hour! For those of you that have been witness to my love/hate relationship with running, you'll understand that this is a major breakthrough. I am, by no means, a long-distance athlete. I prefer the quick and easy way to stay fit. I get bored and often move on to something else. So a. there's no commitment and b. there's no motivation. I'm a lazy, lazy bum.

HOWEVER, I told Katie and Michael (my married friends that are moving to Korea in two weeks - you can find them at: http://wafflesnkimchi.blogspot.com/) - - that I would train for a half-marathon with them. I'm so excited to have something to do in my spare time that is working towards a goal, making me happier (hellllooooooo endorphins!) and forcing me to see more of my city. Again, I get so lazy that after work I just want to veg.

What I want to say to all of you - - if you're becoming bored with the monotony of your schedule, get out and find a type of exercise that you like. I've got some coworkers that have tried hot yoga (where you sweat your rear off because the room is about 100 degrees) and swimming. Anything to get your body moving! You'll only continue doing it if you like it. And please don't put restrictions on yourself. A year ago I couldn't run for five minutes without getting winded. I thought 'no way can I run for a half hour!!' It seemed so far away and here I am, jogging away for longer than that! I will say that I probably look like I'm about to keel over with my style of running. It's reminiscent of a 5-year-old doing an egg-beater with their legs and someone that's woozy from over-exertion. But back to motivating YOU: You can do it and it will give you a happy-high. Also, it's a good idea to talk to Jesus because he keeps the joy grounded.

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. You go girl! I'm training for a 1/2 as well- sort of a post baby goal. Keep it up! Someone told me once that working out is not a punishment, but a privilege- so true. Proud of you Margy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks Grace!! I really appreciate the encouragement! Now when I'm running, I'll think of you running too, halfway across the world - you're so rockin'. I'm amazed at your physical strength! Baby and THEN a 1/2 - GET IT.

    ReplyDelete